SHE – Safety, Health and Environment
We value the protection of our employees, the environment and our products.
Aspen Oss is committed to ensuring a proactive safety culture and considers SHE awareness and compliance as an imperative to our success. We manage SHE as an integral part of our business and we are an ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 certified company. We have a dedicated team of over 25 in-house SHE specialists with expert knowledge to ensure continuous improvement in SHE management and performance.
Aspen Oss B.V. is part of Aspen Pharmacare. We are a global supplier of top-quality active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs). We want to conduct our business activities sustainably and therefore regard management of safety, health and the environment (SHE) as an integral part of our business operations. Our primary objectives are to create a safe and healthy working environment for our employees, contractors and partners, to minimize our impact on our environment – in terms of both environmental impact and safety – and to handle raw materials and energy efficiently. Our motto is ‘I work safely, or I don’t work at all’.
Our four starting points in this respect are:
Aspen Oss B.V. believes that SHE management is the fundamental responsibility of everyone in the organization. By everyone, in the context of this policy, we refer to our employees, contractors and partners who carry out work at our sites. Adequate resources and facilities are made available to identify and control SHE hazards.
Aspen Oss B.V. commits itself to:
- Promoting a proactive SHE culture in which everyone demonstrates ownership of our SHE performance and contributes to improving it. Where everyone calls others to account in an open atmosphere;
- Demonstrable compliance with at least all legal SHE requirements, other requirements that the company subscribes to (such as the Responsible Care Programme) or that major stakeholders insist upon. Work in accordance with SHE standards ISO14001 (environment), OHSAS18001/ ISO45001 (safety) and NTA8620 (external safety) and to maintain certified systems for this purpose;
- Preventing illness, accidents and environmental incidents by avoiding or minimizing health and safety risks for everyone. To this end, risks are systematically identified and measures are taken to manage them. The choice of measures is based on the occupational hygiene strategy.
- Minimizing the negative impact on our environment by preventing environmental pollution (soil, water, air) and environmental nuisance (odour, noise) and limiting environmental impact (energy, water and raw material consumption, waste production). We do this by employing appropriate processes, working practices, materials and products. Application of Best Available Techniques (BAT) is the starting point here. Specifically, we focus on reducing greenhouse gas emissions (reducing our CO2 footprint).
- To involve and consult our employees and their representatives in the execution of our SHE policy.
3. Continuous improvement
Aspen Oss B.V.’s objective is to continuously improve its SHE performance by taking all reasonably practicable measures. Continuous improvement can be demonstrated in our organization by setting measurable SHE targets, the progress of which is monitored and, if necessary, adjusted.
Aspen Oss B.V. recognizes that successful compliance with safety, health and environmental policies starts by regularly bringing this policy to the attention of everyone. Our SHE policy is also made known to third parties. Our SHE goals and results are communicated on a regular basis within the organization.
The SHE policy will be reviewed annually to ensure that it is consistent with the company’s vision and values.
This policy is supported and applied compulsorily by the entire Site Leadership Team (SLT). As Aspen Oss B.V. Location Director, I, the undersigned, take full and final responsibility for Aspen Oss B.V. SHE performance.
Dirk Van Leemput
Site Director Aspen Oss B.V.
Latest version: AMD-21343, version 5.0
Scope of the SHE Management System:
The Aspen Oss SHE management system is applicable to all activities regarding manufacturing and storage of active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) at the locations Moleneind and De Geer in Oss and the location in Boxtel.
The locations Moleneind and De Geer are subject to the Seveso Directive; this directive is not applicable to the Boxtel site.
The nature and scale of the activities at the locations has been described in the environmental permits and corresponding applications. Additional information can be found in Safety Reports, Emergency Plans and Site Master File.
Suppliers and contractors are selected, periodically evaluated and have to meet the Aspen procurement requirements. For some intermediates Aspen works together with suppliers under a Contract Manufacturing construction. As soon as APIs are delivered to a customer, the customer is responsible for the safe use of the APIs. Aspen supports its customers by advice on the safe use of APIs.